Saturday 20 August 2016

Bloodlines

When I was about ten, or eleven
Going back to school in September
All of my Maths lessons were forty five minutes long

Trigonometry became rocket trajectories
Duck duck goose became duck and cover
My auntie told me how
In the fish-less Scottish villages of her childhood
In was cold enough during a regular winter
And sunrise offered no solace only a reminder

So they dug deep into themselves and called it shelter

That history repeats is not ignorance
But doctrine
Threads coming together weaving the cloth that we’re wrapped in
Choked with
And buried in
Civilisation’s finish line is a burial shroud of satin

And I can see it happening
Again
Just like before
Counting the ways out by the hours on your contract
We never stood a chance

And they say I’m being paranoid
I should be smart
Like the bombs that miss ammo dumps
And hit a newlywed’s first dance

Because what would War be without martyrs?
And all of my mental maths tests had tanks drawn in the margins

And now that I’m older
I can see through the lies that they sold us but I am still afraid

The Latin root of my name means ‘To Conquer’
Tracing my bloodline back is literal
You just follow bodies
Left by boy soldiers committing war crimes

And I know that there is more
To being a man
Than this
But I was afraid of being conscripted
Now I’m afraid of being convinced


No comments:

Post a Comment