Monday 12 August 2013

Performance anxiety



I’m not the first to say that poetry is like sex
And I’ll admit I’m not the best
Judge of what constitutes good

But when I watch other poets perform
I can hear the silent roar of the crowd
The gathering storm that’s building up and up and up

And maybe I should start to give a fuck
But then my poem is done
It had a good run

For all of thirty seconds
Two minutes tops if I
Slow it
Right
Down

And prepare a bit of banter just before the show
But it’s only recently that I started to really write poetry
I’m sure with practice I’ll craft a six minute flow easily

Unless you’re like me and you like short poetry
With sharp explosive bursts
Instead of never ending imagery

The sort of poem that just goes on and on and on
Which isn’t bad but wasn’t what you were expecting
So you’re working out a shopping list or just mentally texting

No this is a poem with a fucking climax
Take as and when needed to help you relax

1 comment: