Monday 5 August 2013

Ours is the Kingdom



If poems were songs then I would still be a musician
Transplant me spitting rhymes in the kitchen
Hands getting soapy washing the dinner dishes
With a long haired hippy stumbling over three chords

Not stuttering trying to say more
In one breath
I’m just playing smoke on the water to death

And I should have seen the signs then
The fire burning underneath the surface
Bubbling up from an underwater vent
Powered by the molten core of the earth I’ll spit words till I’m spent

Till the continents themselves are rent and torn asunder
You might mistake my voice for the sound of thunder

So while you ask yourself how did he stoop so low
I will blow you away with a verbal guitar solo

Because I walk with Wordsworth and Shakespeare’s got my back
And I know if they were alive today they would be practicing rap
See wordsmiths shine a light and the light says walk this way
And we step on the shoulders of giants to reach up to a higher plane
See thanks to the power of science we no longer live in caves
But the oral tradition will stay with us till the end of all our days
As long as there is someone still alive with breath to tell a story

Then the human race will never die
Ours is the fucking glory

Ours is the kingdom and ours is the power
And it’s only taken from us because we allow it
So if anything that I’ve said resonates with you
Take out your old banners and fight for the truth

If poems were songs then I’d still be a soldier
Just another poor soul going uphill with a boulder

And I’m trying to say more in one breath


No comments:

Post a Comment