Tuesday 16 July 2013

Wordsmithing



I don’t live for poetry
I conjure up a chrysalis of words
And wrap myself tight in the blankets
Eyes wide shut behind rose tinted glasses

The real world scares me

This ever present I is not a symbol of my vanity
It’s a buffer between the real world and me

Right now I am a surgeon
Sharpening my scalpel
I’m ready to perform open heart poetry

There’s more money in cosmetic poetry
Trimming fat and fixing noses
Hallmark cards
Colour-blind roses

There’s more respect in Neurosurgical nuances
There’s grit and truth in metallurgical monoliths
Nobody understands placebo poetry
But we all feel better afterwards

Don’t we?

I like my medical metaphor but they don’t call us surgeons
In fact the best of us are called wordsmiths
So my scalpel’s cast aside
I send the nurse out for a sledgehammer
I take the issue of the day and I beat the ever loving crap out of it

I thrust my thoughts into a furnace
Temper my hopes
Quench my dreams in oil
Lose three fingers to the toil

And maybe if I’m good enough
I’ll push the world and all its ugliness
Through a white hot iron crucible
And come out with something beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment